Saturday 3 June 2017

Day 1: Vancouver to Hope

This was it, today is the day I set off proper.

Yesterday Shirley had been to Stanley Park, had her tyre dipped in the ocean, and ridden back to Victor at SFU.

Cold, but peaceful, at Hope
Today was a big day to start the tour off. I was looking at 140km on the bike, and it would be the first fully loaded trip.
Thankfully the route is generally flat to Hope, but I still had to get through the distance.

Working my way down to the Fraser river and then turning left along it, the traffic rushed alongside me, pulling me eastwards.
The first hunger pangs started just before Mission, so I stopped and ventured into an A&W for a cheeky burger and a root beer.
I was cold too, a symptom I now know comes from lack of food.
Reserves were depleted!!

Once I was fed and watered and had recovered myself a bit, I started making good progress. The road was flat and there was a tail-wind assisting me. At one point I was zooming along at over 30km/h!

Today was always going to be a challenge. I hadn't ridden this distance on a loaded bike for 2 years, so it wasn't long before fatigue, both mental and physical, began to set in.
Hope didn't seem to be getting any closer, the wind kept switching from a tail wind to side on, then to head on, before going back to behind me.
As long as I kept on pedalling I would get there, and it was quicker than walking, no matter how slowly I was going.

One last little uphill climb before looping back and dropping into Hope, over the raging Fraser river.
A comfy campsite at Hope
Having been in Cape Town for 4 months at the beginning of the year and seeing how low the water levels were there, seeing this river in flood was certainly something to behold.

My campsite was right on the banks of the Fraser river, and it was perfect. Hot showers and level sites.
I quickly setup camp, made dinner and dropped into bed.

Fun fact. Hope was were Rambo, First Blood was set. This year is the 35th anniversary of its release.

Distance: 139 km
Time: 6:19:08
Height gained/lost: 773m /-1121m
Calories: 4320
Fraser river at Hope



1 comment :

  1. Took me a while to work out how to get here but so glad I did. Your writing is so descriptive. Looking forward to binge reading the rest

    ReplyDelete