Friday 22 September 2017

Day 115: Oxford to Shubenacadie

Those kids were right, it does get cold here at night. In fact, it gets freezing cold!
I woke to a cold mist hanging over the town, so I quickly donned 3 tops, the top one being a down jacket, and scooped some breakfast into me.
I packed up as quickly as I could, and went down the main road to Tim Horton's, I needed a warm breakfast in me, so I had a second breakfast, with a thick and creamy hot chocolate to get my body warmed up.

The air was cool, and the mist lifting, but there was still cloud at a higher level, so I kept a jacket on for most of the morning. I took the 204 to the junction with the 4, then went through Wentworth (it has a ski slope).
Once again, there were plenty of hills, nothing massive, just plenty of them.

I stopped at the Big C truckstop for lunch and had the works. It was another hot day, so I drank heaps. The waitress asked about my journey, so I told her what I had been up to. This blew her mind, so she started laying into the locals, saying they needed to get out and do more exploring. This got a few laughs from the customers, and soon I was feeling quite good too. It had been a tough morning.

It was a quick ride into Truro from the diner, but the road was getting worse, as were the drivers. I had a couple of close calls as I got closer to town, but luckily nothing more than that. Once through Truro I took the 2, heading south.
As my energy levels started to head south as well, I spied a barn on the top of a hill advertising camping. It was not a moment too soon.

I rode into camp and met Willy, owner and manager of Wild Nature Camping. What a great guy, he instantly made me feel at home by sorting me out with a top camp site, then promised beers later in the evening, once I had settled in.
I rode into town to get dinner and got some Gatorade and chips, and a donair. The donair possibly saved my life.
It was delicious!!!

Back at camp, Willy cruised in on his golf cart, unloaded some fire wood and cracked some beers. We talked about all sorts, then heard the wolves howling as the moon rose.
The wolves were in the wildlife reserve next door.

What a perfect ending to a tough day on the bike.
Wolves, stars, beers and a fire.

Distance: 129 km
Time: 6:29:59
Height gained/lost: 972m /-979m

Calories: 4045

1 comment :