Wednesday 20 September 2017

Day 112/113: PEI (rest days)

September 19

After a great sleep and a tasty breakfast of eggs, toast and local bacon Dennis took me for a drive to Malpeque to visit the cousin of Karen, who I stayed with in Johnstown. We drove some of the back roads around the island and did a spot of shopping before heading back home.
We went to a ceilidh in Brackley Beach and listened to the amazing Jonny Ross and his band. Most of the tunes were local, with a scattering of more popular Irish tunes. It was great to hear this local music.

September 20

I took Dennis' kayak out for a paddle today and paddle across the harbour to the breakwater.
Lovely red sand beaches to park the kayak on while I went for a swim.
You have to watch the tides in this place, they are strong and fast. After I had finished my swim, I jumped back into the kayak, but it wouldn't budge. The tide was draining the bay so fast I had to walk about 400m to find deeper water.
By the time I had returned to the house, the sandbanks were just being uncovered.

Dinner was mussels and sausages, and fresh salad.
I am feeling very relaxed being here. Dennis works with wood and makes spoons of all shapes and sizes, and of different wood. The tour of the workshop is quite extensive.
Jane works with leather and makes amazing bags, money clips and purses, as well as any custom items she chooses.
It is great hanging out with creative people again, it certainly got my mind turning over, thinking about what is possible.

No comments :

Post a Comment