Saturday 23 September 2017

Day 116: Shubenacadie to Halifax

This is it.
Bittersweet feelings today as I make my way into Halifax, and to the end of this amazing journey.

The day dawned misty again, but much warmer than yesterday. I was out of camp by 9 and was sorry not to say a proper goodbye to Willy. His campground is amazing.

I rode on the 102 for a bit, but it was far too busy, so I went back to highway 2, the old highway.
The scenery was beautiful. Lakes, woods, cottages and little towns all the way. The humidity was also on the rise today, and I was sweating profusely.

When I saw the main bridge that crosses from Dartmouth to Halifax, I realised that I had made it, I had actually cycled my bicycle across Canada! I shed a tear or two as I continued towards downtown Halifax and Point Pleasant Park.

I rode into the park and found a suitable place to park Shirley. I emptied a water bottle, went down to the water and scooped some sea water up, then poured it over my front and rear wheels.

I had no words. My mind was blank. I sat for a long time just looking out to sea, hearing the waves, the seagulls. Tears wet my beard.

I tried to capture the moment as best I could, but I don't think I did very well.
I took some more photos and video then packed up the bike and headed to the HI hostel, where I would be staying for the next few days.

A shower, some food and then out to meet Aaron for a few beers and a proper celebration.
We met at the Split Crow pub, sank a few, danced, listened to local music and had a great time.

It is done.

Distance: 75.7 km
Time: 3:37:15
Height gained/lost: 530m /-601m

Calories: 2409

2 comments :

  1. Well done my boy. You did good! I am in awe of what you have achieved. What an amazing achievement and what a stunning story. I have so enjoyed following you on this blog!

    ReplyDelete