Thursday 21 September 2017

Day 114: Summerside to Oxford

Confederation Bridge
I said my final farewell to Dennis, Jane and Ursula and set off towards the Confederation Bridge, 25km away. This would be my only biking on PEI.
I had a massive tailwind pushing me, and hoped it would continue once I was over the bridge.

Yum.
While waiting for the shuttle to ferry me back to the mainland, I had a Cow's ice cream. It is a big thing on the island, and I can see why. It's delicious!

Once I was back on the mainland, I met Daryl going the other way. We had last seen each other in Montreal. It was good to see him again, and we had a quick catchup before he was whisked over the bridge and onto the island.

The tailwind pushed me to Port Elgin in no time, but as I was leaving town I got my first genuine puncture. A tiny sliver of wire had worked its way into my rear tyre and flattened it fast. While repairing this, I realised that my spare tube had the wrong valve, so didn't fit. It's a good thing I carry so many patches.

Once I was back up and running, I took the 970 and then the 366 towards Amherst. The roads were quiet and rolling, with a good surface. Forest and fall colours kept me company for most of the way.
The rolling hills kept coming, I was getting tired and I didn't know what facilities Oxford had. When I arrived in town, I was nicely surprised. It had everything, including many places to stealth camp.
I ate dinner (wings and a burger and fries and a chocolate milk) and asked the manager of the cafe if I could camp here. She replied, saying that there weren't any signs saying that you couldn't! Fair enough.

I pitched my tent next to the Information Centre, well hidden from all eyes, except a couple of kids who walked past once I was in bed. They hoped I would be warm enough as it gets cold in the mornings now.

I am now in Nova Scotia, whoop.

My legs were tired, so I hoped for a good night's sleep.

Distance: 124 km
Time: 5:41:59
Height gained/lost: 739m /-783m

Calories: 3949


No comments :

Post a Comment