Monday 7 August 2017

Day 68: White River to Wawa

As anticipated, this morning was cold, and everything was covered in dew. Mist shrouded the trees in a silent cloak, hiding the sun from, us, the shivering campers.
The RV's left at the break of dawn, scurrying off to wherever they had to be that day. I, on the other hand, only had to be in Wawa, 95 k's down the road.

Bags packed, I said goodbye to Winnie, rolled over the road to the bakery and bought a few slices of banana bread, strawberry and banana bread, and a butter tart.
Just in case.

Today would be tough, as a headwind was pencilled in on the cards. The hills started out OK, nothing too major, but soon the wind turned, and picked up, hampering my progress a little.

I knew there was a campsite at Wawa, and all I could focus on was getting to the site. My legs had no power, but they kept on spinning, ticking off each kilometre slowly but surely. There was a lodge halfway along the road where I could refill my water bottles, but when I arrived it was closed due to the public holiday in effect. I sat on the porch in the shade and had a chat with the Tin Man.

Lots of pretty perfect lakes reflected my progress as I cycled past them, Hammer Lake being an example.

Wawa has the largest goose statue in Canada, so I checked that out before heading to the campsite. Once I had arrived in camp, late in the afternoon, setup my tent in my allocated space, which seemed to be the darkest spot around, I headed up to the swimming pool for a dip. The water was 28C, crazy, so I wallowed for a bit before getting out. I caught a bit of sun on the deck chairs and dozed. What a relaxing end to an otherwise tough day.
Rodents keep me company

As usual, the rodents found my site and kept me company for most of the evening.

Due to data corruption I don't have any calories or altitude readings to give.

Distance: 95 km
Time: 4:54:00
Height gained/lost: ??m /-??m

Calories: ??


Hammer Lake


No comments :

Post a Comment