Thursday 13 July 2017

Day 43: Maple Creek to Swift Current

Trains
The goods trains kept me awake in the early hours of this morning. They sound their horns when they come through town, warning the 2 level crossings that there is a mile-long train approaching.

Maple Creek
The wind picked up in the night and was blowing quite hard this morning.

I worked my way through to Tompkins in time for morning tea, where I met another 2 cyclists heading eastwards as well. They are only cycling through Sask. this trip, having done BC and Alberta on a previous trip.
We rode through to Gull Lake, the wind switching all the time, sometimes behind us and pushing, then blowing onto our right shoulder at other times.

Gull Lake flat tyre
Lunch in Gull Lake was tasty, and refreshing. We must have looked a sight walking into the cafe, all hot and sweaty. The other patrons eyed us with suspicion for a while.
With lunch done, Dave discovered that his rear wheel was completely flat. I helped him change it and topped my rear wheel, which was looking a little low too.

I headed for Swift Current with the wind at my back and the sun above me. I was cruising now, the wind settled into a SW direction and pushed me all the way into the campsite.
The afternoon heat kicks in at about 4pm, usually the time I roll into campsite. Today was no different. I was parched, poached and pooped.

I setup camp in the shade and set about fixing my rear wheel. For the third time!
Once again, little slivers of wire are sticking through.

Grr...

Distance: 138 km
Time: 6:34:28

Height gained/lost: 563m /-549m

Calories: 3999

Little wires


1 comment :

  1. How annoying to have to deal with these punctures!

    ReplyDelete