Tuesday 25 July 2017

Day 55: MacGregor to Winnipeg

The storm did arrive last night and produced a little thunder and lightning, and a few drops of rain. Nothing quite like the storm of a few days ago, thankfully.

I woke up fresh with good legs and a clear head this morning. There was a big tailwind on the cards for today, so I was going to make the most of it.
It was amazing, I was flying. 50km in 1:52!!

I stopped in Portage la Prairie for morning tea, a reward for the good progress. I redeemed one of the Tim Horton's vouchers and was sipping a hot chocolate when a man appeared at my table, and said good morning. He asked where I was from, I replied Cape Town. He was originally from Zambia and had recognised the flag on the bike, so came in to say Hi. He then offered to buy me breakfast!!
No, but thank you.

My goal today was Winnipeg, but the only campsites are on either side of the city, there is nothing in it. I chose the campsite on the east side of town and then proceeded to cycle through the city.

What terrible roads and horrendous city drivers! Give me trucks passing at 90km/h over a city driver any day!
I was speaking to some locals after the ride and they agreed, but the motor mechanics are not complaining...

The Mint
Once I had extracted myself from the city centre, I did a spot of grocery shopping and made for the Town and Country campsite, once again situated alongside the railway line.
En route I passed the Canadian Mint. Not a sweet, but rich.

I had a solid dinner and lay in my tent, trying to get to sleep.


Distance: 140.6 km
Time: 5:30:22

Height gained/lost: 273m /-333m

Calories: 4565

1 comment :