Friday 21 July 2017

Day 51: Regina to Grenfell

I left Kathleen and the kids at around 8am and was quickly out of the city. I was making good progress thanks to the gentle tailwind that was pushing me.
Not much different today on the scenery front, apart from seeing a large herd of bison just outside Indian Head, where I stopped in the shade for lunch.
It was another hot day today, with thunderstorm warnings issued for later in the day.

I stopped at Wolseley and walked across the famous swinging bridge, and stopped and spoke to a family who were just in awe of what I was doing. While in town, I met another South African, who now lives in Edmonton, and had a quick chat with him.

Leaving Wolseley I watched the nice fluffy clouds in front of me change shape, some getting bigger, others staying the same size, just getting fluffier. Just out of curiosity I looked behind me to see what was happening there.

Jiminy Cricket!
Stop the bike!
Take a photo!

That was something to look at. The entire horizon was pitch black and I had to tip my head back to see the top of the cloud. Rain was already falling to the south of me.
I had 26km to go to Grenfell and did not want to be caught in this monster! I had heard how violent these storms can be.

Setting of again, this time with a bit more effort in each pedal stroke, I saw lightning striking to the north.
The race was on, was I going to get caught or would I make it safely to cover? I kept checking on the progress of the storm and was soon happy I wouldn't get caught. At one point I saw a funnel cloud start to form, but it quickly disappeared. Could this produce tornadoes?
Eek...

Grenfell arrived and I ducked into the campsite and quickly setup my tent, chucking all my bags inside once done. No sooner had I zipped up the tent, with me inside it, did the heavens open. Big raindrops pelted my tent, smacking it wetly.
Then came the wind, buffeting my tent.
And then, a weird noise, followed by cries from people.
I poked my head out and saw the biggest hailstones I have ever seen, whacking everything in sight. My tent withstood the barrage, but some of the cars and caravan awnings in the camp got damaged.

Fifteen minutes later, it had all cleared and the evening was now beautiful and sunny, the air clean and clear.

I had a good dinner and was in bed relatively early, only to be woken in the night by trains shunting.


Distance: 137.2 km
Time: 6:03:32

Height gained/lost: 311m /-308m

Calories: 3920

Top secret Saskatchewan space program uncovered

1 comment :