Sunday 23 July 2017

Day 53: Moosomin to Brandon

Rolled out of Moosomin a little later than expected as Blanche took me berry picking this morning. Saskatoon berries too!
Breakfast was 3 bagels, prepared like French toast, then cooked with an egg in the middle. Served with your choice of syrup.
What a delicious mess!

I had a slight tailwind this morning, more on my right hip than fully behind me, but it was appreciated assistance. Yet another hot day on the cards, 28C, so I was thankful for the breeze.
I stopped at the Manitoba border, said goodbye to Saskatchewan and introduced myself to Manitoba.

Manitoba then promptly stole an hour from me. Sheesh!

Instantly there were more trees present, less fields and crops. I had lunch at Virden, in the shade at A&W. I treated myself to the usual 4 slices of peanut butter bread. Mmm.
I must have consumed 6 litres of water this morning, yet I don't remember drinking that much. The sweat evaporates so quickly that one doesn't really notice it.
I made it to Brandon just as my energy levels began to dip. And when they dip, I fade very fast.
I coasted into a very well-positioned McDonald's and had a LARGE Coke and a couple of cheeseburgers, just enough fuel to get me to the campsite.

Having had the hour lifted from me earlier, all the major stores where now closed, which meant that my dinner choice was looking like brown rice with a tin of tuna thrown in.
How good does that sound?

Mark, the owner of the Turtle Crossing campsite I was staying at, heard my food story, and promptly invited me for dinner.
Steak, salads, beer. What more could I ask for?

A prime tent site? Yes please.

He led me to a spot overlooking the river, where I pitched my tent and slept like the dead.

Once again, trains in the night woke me up. It seems to be a running theme.

Distance: 147.6 km
Time: 6:29:40

Height gained/lost: 164m /-386m

Calories: 4192




Blanche and Harvey's garden

No comments :

Post a Comment