Wednesday 26 July 2017

Day 56: Winnipeg to Falcon Lake

The tailwind persists.

Just outside Winnipeg I passed the Longitudinal Centre of Canada.

I got blown along Highway 1 like an autumn leaf today, and even managed some cycling on the LEFT shoulder, due to roadworks.
The roadworks did mean that there was no right shoulder to cycle on, and what space there was was covered in serious grit and gravel. Hence riding on the left.



At one point I was the only person on the road. I stopped and listened, and there was silence. Crazy to think that I was alone on this massive highway.

I stopped and refilled my water where possible, chatting with the people, and on one occasion, threw sticks for a dog.

I stopped in Prawda, once clothing suppliers to the Devil, for lunch and was told that the water was yellow, and not drinkable. I have not had to buy any water on this trip yet, but that was a first.

After lunch, about 20km from Falcon Lake, my rear wheel starting fishtailing. Uh oh...please don't be flat.
I stopped and checked, and yup, flat.
A quick check of the outside of the tyre showed no penetration, so I pumped up the tube. The air was coming out as quickly as I was pumping it up!
Joy.
Bags off, rear wheel off, tyre off.
The valve had torn away from the tube, so I binned that, inserted my spare and pumped it.
There is no fixing a torn valve, but I am still curious as to how that happened.

I checked into Falcon Lake beach campground, and before my panniers had been removed from my bike, a couple arrived at my site and said they had passed me at lunch and wanted to hear my story. They also asked if I needed anything - food, drinks. I passed.
As they left, the family next to me invited me over for dinner, which was beef skewers and pasta salad, followed by the most delicious s'mores ever!

I had a quick dip in the lake to cool the legs and body, the water must be about 20C, it's almost like a bath!
Returning to my camp, I met 3 other cyclists, going west. Jason (Aus) was riding just to ride while Dru and Chad (Can) where raising money for charity.
It was Chad's late brother's birthday today, so we had a shot of whiskey around the campfire for him, before dropping into story time. Those guys have had some adventures so far.

Ontario tomorrow.

Distance: 132 km
Time: 5:08:29

Height gained/lost: 235m /-143m

Calories: 4128

Falcon Lake beach at dusk

No comments :

Post a Comment